As we acknowledge National Reconciliation Week 2022, we look back to reflect on what we have accomplished in the first stage of our journey towards reconciliation. Since launching our Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) with Reconciliation Australia we have been working together towards reconciliation and making good progress along the way.
As an Australian owned and operated business, the RAP process is important to demonstrate our commitment to making a difference to the communities in which we live and work. Our RAP is a formal document which outlines our vision and the steps we will take as a company to achieve this.
Since the release of our RAP in August 2020, we have managed to work our way through an impressive list of actions as we strive to educate our People and build awareness and respect for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, culture, values, customs and beliefs.
Our first action was the formation of a RAP Working Group who have met regularly to discuss new initiatives, plan cultural activities and identify educational opportunities for inclusion in our workplace.
Some of our initiatives have included:
- NAIDOC Week events held including catering from an Indigenous owned company and a Welcome to Country and didgeridoo performance;
- Development of Acknowledgement of Country statements for display across our business, on our website and emails, in our reception areas and in our tenders and client presentations;
- Production and distribution of information sheets for each site detailing our Traditional Owners and other important information to educate our People and spark conversations around achieving reconciliation in Australia;
- Attendance at Shape Your Future Youth Careers Expo to promote Orontide as an Employer of Choice and attract Indigenous youth to our workforce;
- Senior Management and RAP Working Group attendance at a flag raising ceremony hosted by the City of Cockburn to mark the commencement of Reconciliation Week; and
- Selection of new community groups to support including Madalah Limited.
Our journey and hard work continues with the next stage of our RAP, the RAP Initiate stage, next on our agenda.